explore
Abandoned

Dredging the Archives + May 7th Library Lecture

Will Ellis_Abandoned NYC-1-3

The spooky Walloomsac Inn in Benington, VT is actually occupied as a private residence.

On Thursday, May 7th at 6:30 PM I’ll be presenting at the Mid-Manhattan Branch of the New York Public Library as part of their Author @ the Library series.  This will be the last book talk I’m giving for a while, so if you’ve missed out on past events and would like to attend, now is the time.  The best part is it’s totally free, open to the public, and there’s no need to register or buy a ticket.  Head here for more info.

Since its release at the end of January, the book has gotten a great response, particularly on the world wide web.  For the highlights, check out these bits in The New York Times, Wired, Complex, and Slate, who toured the Jumping Jack Pump House with me and captured it on video back in March.

I have some exciting posts in the works for you, but for now I wanted to share some images from the archive that haven’t been shown here before–places that didn’t warrant a full post for one reason or another, often because I couldn’t get inside, didn’t have time to poke around, or there just wasn’t a lot to see. Some of them are quite interesting nonetheless. Enjoy!

Will Ellis_Abandoned NYC-3

A striking abandoned house in Searsport, Maine.

Will Ellis_Abandoned NYC-1-4

Sea View Hospital, Staten Island.

Will Ellis_Abandoned NYC-4

La Guardia Men’s Shelter in Chester, New York…

Will Ellis_Abandoned NYC-9

…plenty of peeling paint inside, but not much else.

Will Ellis_Abandoned NYC-5

Ruined house in the Hudson Valley.

Will Ellis_Abandoned NYC-8

Raccoon peering into an abandoned asylum ward at Kings Park, LI.

Abandoned natural gas silos in Rossville, Staten Island.

These mammoth LNG storage tanks in Rossville, SI were abandoned immediately after construction.

Abandoned motel near Yosemite National Park.

Ghost motel near Yosemite National Park.

San Francisco's Fort Point. (not abandoned)

San Francisco’s Fort Point. (not abandoned)

Abandoned house in Queens.

An abandoned house in Queens, now demolished.

Brooklyn Navy Yard

A well-preserved surgeon’s residence at the Brooklyn Navy Yard Hospital.

Will Ellis_Abandoned NYC-6

An abandoned carriage house in Newport, RI locals call “the Bells.”

Discussion

10 thoughts on “Dredging the Archives + May 7th Library Lecture

1. You can’t actually register at that page. Ack! I don’t want to miss this opportunity.

*jodi sh. doff*

917.842.6328 jshdoff@gmail.com *instagram.com/jshdoff * onlythejodi.com

@jshdoff

* Your beliefs don’t make you a better person. Your behavior does.*

Posted by jshdoff | 4-30-15., 1:37 pm
  2. i literally jumped when I saw Camp LaGuardia, Chester, NY! I was a “guest” of the City of New York Welfare Dept. and rather enjoyed my brief respite from being homeless on the streets of Manhattan and living in flop houses on the Bowery. Thank you, and wonder if you have more pictures of this institution. The place held hundreds of men from all walks of life and every resident has a story to tell

Posted by Dwight Miles | 4-30-15., 1:41 pm
    • Glad it brought back some memories for you! It did seem like a very peaceful place–of course it was empty but I was struck by how quiet the place was, even for an abandoned building. I’m sure you have some incredible stories.

There was not even a single chair left behind in the building, so not a lot to photograph. But here’s a few more:

Posted by Will Ellis | 4-30-15., 2:00 pm
    • I have been trying to track a great grandfather who was at Camp LaGuardia in the mid 40’s. Do you know where the records are? Is there a cemetery on the property? If a “guest” died, is there a potter’s burial plot where he might have been buried? I’m finding very little information on the records so any suggestions or ideas you have would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

Posted by margaret guerin | 2-5-16., 9:08 am
  3. Will, I love all your work, but most especially the asylums. Very eerie!

I wish you success at your upcoming talk, and continued success with sales of your awesome book!

~©©

Posted by Miss | 4-30-15., 6:58 pm
  4. Hey Will,, I really enjoyed this collection of photos…I am interested in just about anything abandoned…there has to be some kind of story there for each place. Great post. looking forward to future ones.
    Frank.

Posted by Frank Brennan | 4-30-15., 7:06 pm
  5. Man, this is simply one of the best, if not THE Best, series I’ve ever seen !!! As a collector of portfolios about abandoned places, I thought it was a shame that the article in which I found it (http://soocurious.com/fr/lieux-abandonnes-new-york/) did not give any precisions about the location of each pic. Thanks God or whatever, someone commented with YOUR “location”. Splendid.

Posted by Roland Magnier | 5-7-15., 8:13 pm
  6. DANNNNNNG IT!!!! Cannot believe I missed this!

Posted by April Bickford | 5-17-15., 9:04 pm

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Enter your email address to follow AbandonedNYC and receive new posts by email.

Instagram

🦠 Another bit of NYC quarantine history: Tuberculosis was the second leading cause of death in NYC at the turn of the 20th century. In response, Staten Island’s Sea View Hospital opened in 1913, expanding over the years to include the children’s hospital pictured here. 💀 Once an effective antibiotic was developed to combat the scourge, the place emptied out quickly. A 1952 report by the Department of Hospitals read “Euphoria swept Seaview Hospital. Patients consigned to death at the hands of the white plague celebrated a new lease on life by dancing in the halls.” 💉 The hospital was abandoned in 1974, 📸 2015. #abandoned #abandonedplaces #nychistory #urbanexploration #asylum #quarantine #abandonednyc #statenisland #siliver
🦠 A look back at the history of quarantine in NYC—North Brother Island was the site of NYC’s Riverside Hospital from 1885-1945, treating and isolating patients with smallpox, tuberculosis, typhoid fever and other contagious diseases. 😷 It housed military families and adolescent drug addicts for a brief period before being abandoned in the 1960s. 🏚#quarantine #abandonedplaces #urbandecay #urbex #ue #abandoned #abandonednyc
Museo Rufino Tamayo, Oaxaca City. 🇲🇽 #visitmexico #oaxaca #oaxacamexico
Love every element in this detail from Teotitlan’s colonial-era church. ⛪️ #México #mexicotravel #teotitlandelvalle #oaxaca #oaxacatravel #stilllife
Wandering through Portuguese countryside last September... 📷 Taken in a village whose name I can’t remember. #portugal #portugaltravel #alentejo #alentejogram #colorstory #mustard #ochre
Knockout ocean views in this project by Domino Creative, 📸 2018 on Turks and Caicos. #islandstyle #interiordesign #dominocreative #isitsummeryet #interiorphotography
One from the archives, taken September 2015 at Fort Wadsworth, Staten Island. An unexpected view of the Verrazano Bridge from the ruins. 🍃 #siadvance #statenisland #verrazanobridge #nyc #abandoned #ruins
New work for @houseofglue—check them out if you need some fun, affordable art for your space. 🖼 #interiordesign #interiorphotography #tribeca #nycinteriors #wallart #houseofglue
Finally time to share this magical Christmas scene we shot in August w/@coralandtusk. Happy Holidays to you and yours! 🎁🎄#christmastree #merrychristmas #interiorphotography #housebeautiful #bhgholiday #deckthehalls
Views from the hilltop village of Monsaraz. 🌾 #portugal #portugaltravel #portugal_lovers #monsaraz #alentejo #alentejogram
Gloomy winter days always bring me back to “Arthur Kill Rd,” a series I photographed in 2016 depicting forgotten places on Staten Island. 🚢⚓️🏚Here’s the wreck of the Philip T. Feeney in Port Richmond. #statenisland #forgottenplaces #abandonedplaces #abandonednyc #shipwreck #portrichmond #forgottenborough
One of my favorite images of the year, made for @publichotels. Shot with an 8 second exposure on a moving escalator. 🌅#longexposure_shots #longexposure #interiorphotographer #hospitalitydesign
%d bloggers like this: